Monday, April 27, 2009

Yom Hazikaron

One of my most powerful memories from my first time in Israel for my Junior year of college in 1972-3 was Yom Hazikaron, Israeli Fallen Soldiers and Victims of Terrorism Remembrance Day. It is the day before Israel Independence Day (Yom Haatzmaut). I remember being in a cafe near Kikar Tzion in the middle of Jerusalem, unaware what was to happen. The siren sounded and the commercial center of Jerusalem (and the country) stopped. The waiters stopped. Everyone stopped.
Israel is such a small country - not only physically, but also in population. As many people experience, it's like extended family. I believe there is no one who does not know someone who was wounded or died defending the State of Israel. When everything stopped it was clear on the faces that everyone was thinking about friends and loved ones.
Through the years I've been to Arlington National Cemetery, to many communal Memorial Day services, and lead many prayers in synagogues on Memorial Weekend remembering those who defended the USA. But I have never experienced a moment like my first Yom Hazikaron - it is etched in the sacred recesses of my memory as a pure and holy moment of remembrance and tribute and hope for peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment