Thursday, August 20, 2009

Rabbi/Dr. Joseph Lukinsky

Last week one of the unique souls it has been my pleasure to know in life passed away. Joe Lukinsky was a mentor, a teacher, an inspiration. I first met him while in high school where he served as an advisor in Camp Ramah. Later, he was one of my advisers while working on my M.A. in Jewish Education. Through my college years, grad school, and rabbinic studies, Joe was a Professor of Education at the Jewish Theological Seminary. He was one of the most compassionate and brilliant people I ever have known.
A wonderful aside. My great tangential memory of him was baseball. Joe Lukinsky (I was told actually) had a try-out with the Chicago Cubs. And apparently could have played minor league ball. I'm glad he became a rabbi and educator. But I always remember that once or twice a summer he would play in Camp Ramah in the Shabbat afternoon pick up game. All the outfielders would start to back up. And at least once a summer Joe would crush one - over the dining room or over the Bet Am (Main Rec Hall) - kind of like a Mickey Mantle or home run derby shot - unbelievable. He would just flick his wrists and it was gone. And he was always so modest, when everyone else was totally 'wow'ed.
But I really cherish my memories of his warmth, his compassion and his mentschlikeit. He had this wonderful way of offering constructive criticism. [He was so brilliant that when he taught he could share 3 brilliant ideas at the same time confusing us often.] Yet, when evaluating your programs in camp or lessons in a class - he would bubble with different ways of teaching the same material - and then help you figure out which way would work best for you. He'd look at you with that wonderful warm smile and you knew he wanted you to do your best for yourself, for those you taught, and in service of God. You were never intimidated by his intellectual gifts. His modesty and kindness and willingness to share those talents, inspired you to be like him - a teacher in Israel.
Zichron Zaddik L'vracha - the memory of this righteous soul will always be a source of blessing.

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful tribute to a very special man. Joe was my counselor at Ramah in the summer of 1951. He brought together strength of character with a gentle soul and a brilliant mind, a true teacher in Israel. It was a privilege and an honor to have known such a Zaddik.

    Rick Malter, Ph.D.

    ReplyDelete