Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Parents' Anniversary

I'm back from my month off. It was a good vacation - great week at the Beach in Lewes, DE and the third weekend of July a nice party for my parents' 60th wedding anniversary in Boca Raton. I've been married for almost 26 years and the thought of completing 60 is possible, yet almost miraculous.
It was special to have all of us together - my sisters, their partners and all the grandchildren. We don't, with our busy lifestyles and distances, do it often enough. My sisters are in the NY Metro area and my parents are in Florida. The last time we were all together was for my niece's Bat Mitzvah three years ago, before that it was Tali's Bar Mitzvah in 2003, and 10 years ago my parents for their 50th - who took all 13 of us on a Caribbean Cruise.
The stresses of family - personalities and conflicting demands remain. Yet for all the mishugas: it's nice to enjoy unconditional love... my parents and my sisters have always been there for me. And it's incredible after all the things our parents have given us that we're able to give back a little in helping them with the challenges as they have gotten older.
Finally, while my parents are far from perfect - they're both wonderful human beings. My father's generosity and optimism have always been precious gifts. My mother's devotion and values of caring are part of each of her children. On most of my recent visits to FL, I have had a strange inkling that this might be the last time I see one of my parents. Although no one can know what life will bring, it was a good visit... feeling that there will be many more nice occasions in the coming years to spend good times with my loved ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment