Thursday, January 28, 2010

The "B" page of the Amidah at Kehilat Shalom

Around 10 years ago when we switched from the "old" Sim Shalom Siddur to the newer "Slim" Shalom Prayerbook we had several months of discussions at Kehilat Shalom about utilizing the "B" page which includes the Imahot (the Matriarchs). At the time, I had indicated that I had no problem with adding words into the paragraphs, but that I was opposed to changing the benediction at the end of first blessing of the Amidah.
I've changed my mind, for two reasons. First, I've been reciting the "egalitarian" page frequently for the past six months and I've become comfortable with the words we add. More important though, in studying sources about the Amidah and the fixing of its wording, the evidence indicates to me that these words are not "biblical" in origin or time creation (as I had previously believed.) I still believe the words are divinely inspired, but not literally. They are not prophetic in origin, I believe from the time of the Pharisees or the Men of the Great Assembly. Therefore the possibility of changing the words is true of both the paragraphs as well as the chatimot (the closing blessing formulas).
After discussions with the Ritual Committee and the Board of Directors, we will be implementing use of the "B" page in the Musaf Amidah ONLY. We will retain the "A" page in all other services at Kehilat Shalom. I believe this affirms two other fundamental values: respect for tradition and pluralism. Using the A page affirms our devotion to our heritage. Using the B page in this fashion says that both versions of the Amidah are 'kosher' - there are legitimate liturgical variations in different communities and even within communities. We also have regulars at our services who will not wish to recite the egalitarian version of the Amidah and making the change in this way enables their desire to recite the A page for themselves.
I still know we have a serious issue regarding transition and being comfortable with change. In the coming weeks, the hazzan will be reviewing the Amidah with the new words. I will also use Q&A time on Shabbat mornings to take questions. If you have any questions regarding this - please feel free to contact me.

No comments:

Post a Comment