Sunday, January 31, 2010

Shabbat Sermonette

I've always been ambivalent about the themes in our sacred literature of God as warrior. I know that it is powerful metaphor for divine power ... and seeing God's hand of justice defending the disenfranchised, fills me with hope and even some courage. And although I am excited by reading the Story of the Red (Reed) Sea and God's mighty hand crushing the Egyptian chariot (tank) corps ... still calling God "eesh milchama" - a man of war, is disturbing.
My new insight [from one of my colleagues] is understanding this metaphor from yoga. One of my favorite, yet challenging positions on Tuesday mornings in my class (when I have time to go) is the 'Warrior pose.' It's great stretching, great toning and takes great concentration. It energizes me for the rest of my day. But the warrior pose is mostly not about physical strength, it's about mental strength. It takes warm up preparation. It's about focus. Thinking about your position, breathing, relaxing into the position and maintaining it - it's as much internal as external.
Maybe that's what it really means to be a warrior. It's about meeting the challenges of life: some physical, many interpersonal, just as many struggles within for making the right choices. Ethics of the Fathers asks: who is the person who is truly mighty? The person who can control their inclinations... That's real strength and power.
Maybe that's what it means to be a warrior. It certainly does in yoga. Maybe it's God who gives us the focus and strength to make the right choices. That would make God the Ultimate Warrior - the spirit that makes possible the strength to choice goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment