Sunday, January 2, 2011

Happy & Healthy New Year

Hope I'll be more committed to trying to post frequently this year.
What did I learn yesterday?
Two reflections from Shabbat services.
First, when you daven regularly you daven better... infrequently - it just doesn't feel like it flows. A week ago I put the Torah away and davened Musaf. Yikum Purkan Min Shemaya (148 in Slim Shalom) just felt out of rhythm. Doing it again this week - it felt like it flowed. On the other hand, I had not benched Rosh Hodesh in 15 years. I got through it, but it was kind of scary... I knew where I wanted to go with the chanting, but it just didn't come out the way it was in my brain.
Second, even stuff I know backwards and forwards, I should always have a siddur in my hand. I messed up and repeated a part of Mizmor L'David while returning the Torah. It something I walk through with many Bnai Mitzvah with never a flub, but with the distractions of carrying the Torah - I messed up. A powerful reminder about the right way to daven...

A healthy and good 2011 to all

No comments:

Post a Comment