Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Jury Duty

Yesterday for the first time in my life, I was called for Jury Duty. In CT. and NY. I was always exempt, since they didn't require clergy to serve. I was called three or four years ago here in Maryland, but my number was so high I didn't have to come to the Court House.
With some ambivalence, I report that I was excused without being called yesterday. They had around 200 jurors waiting in the lounge because they expected 6 trials on Monday. For better or for worse... only one of the trials was held - the others were continued or settled. So after sitting from 8:30 until 12:15 150 jurors were released - only 30 people were randomly selected to remain for any sudden needs for a jury.
On one level, it was kind of a waste - although I got to do a lot of reading. On another level it was a pain (in the back), because I had to sit so long.
But having been a witness once at a jury trial (my previous synagogue in Binghamton was sued by someone who fell on ice - we won because we fortunately were not negligent) it is a sacred honor to participate in the justice system. It is an imperfect system with people trying to discern the facts and apply the law to a set of circumstances. But it a system that is potentially fair where there is good counsel for both sides. Each side presents its case and regular people evaluate the evidence. In some ways I would prefer that rabbinic system where the court (without lawyers) asks the questions and evaluates the evidence. There is no perfect system of human justice... but I'm glad that I was available if needed to participate in our system of adjudicating criminal or civil cases.

No comments:

Post a Comment